Home  / UEA/KES - Keswick Hall College of Education

UEA/KES - Keswick Hall College of Education

Reference code
Level of description
Keswick Hall College of Education
Quantity & Format
2 files Mixed
Keswick Hall College of Education
Scope and content
Contains plans and miscellaneous papers on Keswick Hall. Papers on Keswick Hall can also be found elsewhere in the UEA Collection, including UEA/JONES/38.

Norwich Teacher Training College (later Keswick Hall College of Education) opened in 1839, in Cathedral Close, in the city of Norwich.

For the first century and a quarter the college was for women only. In 1892 it moved to new buildings situated in the central area of Norwich, where it remained until just after the Second World War.

In 1942 the college was bombed in the raids during the 1939-45 war. The college continued in temporary accommodation and in 1948 moved to Keswick Hall, a Regency building offered by the Gurney family of Norwich. From that time until 1984, the hall was used for teacher training.

The present School of Education and Professional Development is situated on the main University of East Anglia campus. Keswick Hall itself is now occupied by a variety of commercial companies - the student hostels being converted into private residential accommodation.
Powered by CollectionsIndex+ Collections Online